Property Exemptions in the State of Florida
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Tips About Miami Taxes and other Miami Real Estate topics.
Are there any Miami home tax exemptions available to me and my family?
Miami Dade county offers several opportunities for residents to declare various tax exemptions. If you are purchasing a Miami home or Miami condo, you may be eligible for one of more of these exemptions.
- Homestead Exemption – Anyone in Florida is eligible for this $25,000 property tax exemption as long as they are a U.S. citizen and legally own the home.
- Senior Exemption – Seniors, 65 and older are entitled to an addition $25,000 tax exemption that applies to county and city taxes.
- Widow and Widower Exemptions – A $500.00 exemption for widows and widowers. This exemption expires if either party remarries and you may be asked to provide a death certificate as proof to secure the exemption.
- Disabled Exemptions – This is a $500.00 exemption for any disabled homeowners in the state of Florida and Miami Dade County.
- Veterans Disability Exemption – This is for veterans who have at least a 10% service related disability.
- Granny Flat Exemption – This is a reduction in the assessment of property or living quarters for parents or grandparents.
- Blind Person's Exemption – A $500.00 exemption for any blind homeowners in Miami Dade County, FL.
- Total and Permanent Disability Exemption – This is an exemption for any honorable discharged veteran with a total and permanent disability.
- Institutional Exemptions – If your organization is solely or primarily a charity, religious in nature, educational, scientific, literary or government related you can be found to be totally or partially exempt from “ad valorem taxation.”
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.